Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Weightlifting & Supplements

Continuing on the body building topic from last week, I'd like to explore supplements in weightlifting.  I spend a good deal of time up at the gym here at OSU and its obvious who is on the supplements and who is not.  It's always boggled my mind why non-athletes feel the need to get that Greek god body.  I've done some personal studying on supplements and the majority are not good in any form for you.  From talking to trainers and athletes I've found that good old fashioned weightlifting and a diet high in protein and low in fat is the best way to get that great body.

But what about those that want immediate results or to lift the "heavy" weights.  Many turn to supplements.  From the reading I've done(www.livestrong.com, Mayo Clinic Research), testosterone boosters are the quickest way to build muscle and reduce fat levels on the body.  Anabolic steroids fall into this category, and players in the MLB have been under heavy accusation for their use.  Steroids build muscle fast by releasing testosterone that is locked up in the body.  However, side effects occur from this from are as mild as acne to as severe as testicular atrophy and prostate enlargement.

There are pre-workout supplements that are used as well.  According to the Mayo Clinic pre-workout supplements such as Lipo-6 aid in fat burning and creating energy by inducing the user with large amounts of caffeine.  The results are achieved by artificially raising the heart rate, thereby also raising the user's metabolic level.  Serious side effects come from this as well though, such as nervousness, hallucinations and even heart attack.  To me when hallucinations and nervousness are side effects, how are these supplements any different from illegal narcotics?  So what is the drive behind body builders to make use of these supplements, when for no other reason they want to "look good," especially when the side effects are known?  For my body building I'm sticking to the old fashioned diet of fish, chicken and skim milk, I want to be around to see my grandkids. 


1 comment:

  1. I see people in the Colvin that look "ripped" and sometimes wonder what extra items have helped them achieve this "Greek God body"? I have had friends who decided in the late 20s that they wanted to have this look. He ate right already, but then started with supplements of all kinds. He knew the different clerks at the supplement store on a first name basis. It got to the point where instead of hanging out with his normal group of friends that he was always at the gym "pumping iron" and taking all sorts of supplements. It grew so bad as to taking some steroids. I guess it paid off for him, he got the "ripped" body he wanted. But what price did he pay? He did have the side effects to along with it too. So was it worth it for him or anyone else? I guess they have to weigh the good versus the bad.

    ReplyDelete